Frequently Asked Questions

Lessors may choose to specify if Pets are, or, are not allowed in Tenancy Agreements for your Property. If you elect to allow pets, the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (RTRA Act) outlines the Tenant's responsibility with having them at a rental Property. Our Agency can provide practical suggestions for your consideration before deciding if you will allow a pet or not.

Can I say I don't want pets at my Property?

A maximum amount equal to four weeks rent is to be paid by the Tenant as Bond prior to the Tenant moving into the Property unless the rent is greater than $700 per week. In this case, then an agreed amount can be requested to be paid over and above the four weeks rent as Bond. The Bond is lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) within ten (10) days of receipt and held at the RTA until the Tenant vacates the premises. The Bond is only dispersed appropriately after a thorough Agent Exit Property Inspection report  is completed and we are satisfied the Tenant has returned the Property as required and all rent has been paid up to date.

Who holds the Bond Money?

All monies received on your behalf are held in our regularly audited Trust Account. From these monies we pay all authorized payments relating to your Property eg council rates (if nominated), insurance, repairs and maintenance. Invoices are sent to you with your next monthly statement. The Trust Account period concludes with account processing occurring on the first business day of each month to comply with Trust Account auditor requirements.

We electronically transfer your funds into your nominated financial account within the next 3 business days.

How and When am I paid the rent from my Tenants?

Work arranged by our Agency for your Property is carried out by a suitably qualified and licensed tradesperson.  If the work required is covered by a warranty, our Agency contacts the supplier, or if the work is claimable under your Landlord or any other insurance policy, we can contact the insurer to claim on your behalf. Our Agency has access to a wide range of tradespeople who have met our Agency's stringent criteria.

Are all repairs done properly?

Each business day rent arrears are monitored with action taken. If the Tenant is 4 days in arrears a reminder is sent. If rent is in arrears on the 8th day, we issue a formal Notice to Remedy, as the law allows at this time. If rent continues to be unpaid we will contact you to seek permission to issue a formal Notice to Leave when the law allows. We maintain contact with you until the matter is finalised ie. rent is paid, a repayment plan is agreed upon or the eviction process concludes.

Does somebody keep track of rental payments?

The most common tenancy is a Fixed Term eg 6 or 12 months. We would try to encourage a new Tenant's first Tenancy Agreement be for 12 months to see how the Tenant performs; but tenants often ask for 6 months initial lease. If the market allows, a rent increase can be written into the Agreement at the 6 month mark.  The Agreement may be re-negotiated before the end of each fixed term period. We contact you about 3 months prior to a lease expiry with options and advice about rent.

What is the average length of a Tenancy Agreement?

The Tenancy Agreement specifies that the Tenant permits the Lessor/Agent to inspect the Property during the tenancy provided the Tenant is given notice, as required by the RTRA Act. The Act states that unless a Tenant agrees otherwise, entry may not be made less than 3 months after a previous entry by the Lessor/Agent and no less than once every 6 months.  We strive to carry out inspections on your property every 3-4 months.

How often can I inspect the Property, other than for maintenance?

Before renting a Property it is highly recommended to have appropriate insurance cover such as ‘Landlord Protection Insurance'. We can provide various brochures from Insurance Companies providing this type of policy. In addition, building and contents insurance and public liability cover are vital. Packages are typically available from your preferred Insurer for cost effective and comprehensive protection. All queries about insurance must be directed to Insurance Providers.

What Insurance is needed for an investment Property?

The Lessor is responsible to pay Council / Shire sewerage and drainage rates, Land Tax and all corporate charges.  From the date a tenancy commences and if specified on the Tenancy Agreement, Tenants are responsible to pay for electricity, telephone, gas plus water charges over and above the average allowance incurred. The Lessor can pass on full water consumption costs as long as their Property meets the criteria of the 3 star wells rating or equivalent.

Who pays for water?

Landlords are required to provide a wired point for telephone/ADSL connection to be enabled.

It was previously recommended that if the Property is new or has been vacant for a while and a telephone line has never been connected to the Property that the Lessor pays for the initial line connection. But new legislation dictates that this is no longer a necessity as is it common place that every tenant has a mobile phone instead of landlines therefore making landlines no longer a requirement but a luxury item in order to connect ADSL for internet etc.

The Tenant is now responsible to pay for the line connection, service connection and all services used; but the owner must enable the initial connection ability by providing an electrically wired line.

Do I pay for the telephone connection?

More Questions? Send Us an Enquiry via our Contact Page